Graduate Intern: Interactive-Segmentation for X-ray Tomography (ML/AI)
PARC is offering a Research Internship opportunity in the areas of 3D image segmentation, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and human-in-the-loop methodologies, with a focus on practical skills. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with single-cell soft X-ray tomographic data produced at the National Center for X-ray Tomography (https://ncxt.org/; Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory). They will gain experience in interpreting large biological tomographic images and develop semi-automatic methods to segment biological images with limited 3D features. Exceptional graduate students with hands-on experience in these fields are encouraged to apply.
• Develop and implement machine learning algorithms for 3D image segmentation, incorporating human-in-the-loop methodologies.
• Develop high-quality and scalable code according to industry standards.
• Contribute to conference or journal papers in the field of 3D image segmentation and machine learning, with an emphasis on human-in-the-loop techniques.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software/Computer/Electrical Engineering, Applied Math, or related discipline
•Demonstrable excellence in at least one high-level programming language (e.g., Python or C/C++, not notebooks); willingness to develop according to industry standards (development for deployment, clean and collaborative coding, git usage, unit testing, etc.)
• Eagerness to learn new technologies, apply practical techniques to solve real-world problems, and develop new ideas into software products.
• Up-to-date knowledge of machine learning, deep learning, and various neural network models and their pros and cons for different applications, particularly in the context of 3D image segmentation and human-in-the-loop methodologies.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• At least one year of academic research experience as a Graduate/Research Assistant in an ongoing higher-education (Master’s or Ph.D.) program, focusing on 3D image segmentation, machine learning, and human-in-the-loop techniques.
• Experience using napari for visualization and annotation of multi-dimensional image data.
• Familiarity with popular deep learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow or PyTorch, and libraries for image processing, such as OpenCV or scikit-image.
• Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently or collaboratively within a team.
• Knowledge of best practices in human-computer interaction, user experience, and/or user interface design for incorporating human feedback into segmentation tasks.
Xerox is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity or expression, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by law. Learn more at www.xerox.com and explore our commitment to diversity and inclusion! People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox may request such accommodation(s) by sending an e-mail to XeroxStaffingAdminCenter@xerox.com. Be sure to include your name, the job you are interested in, and the accommodation you are seeking.
© 2023 Xerox Corporation. All rights reserved. Xerox® and Xerox and Design® are trademarks of Xerox Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.