Systems Engineer- Co-Op- Fall 2023
DEKA Research and Development, housed in Manchester, NH, has an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer Co-Op to work in a dynamic Biomedical Research and Development environment. This Co-Op will have exposure to several different aspects of product development and systems engineering including CAD, prototyping, hands-on troubleshooting, systems architecture, and risk management.
DEKA offers Co-Ops for full time students* (must be at least 18 years of age). This position is for a 6 month rotation for summer/fall 2023 starting in July/ August.
How you will make an impact:
- Work with a small fast-paced group focused on launching a commercial medical device.
- Tasks will be determined based on the experience level of the student and active needs of the team. Examples include fixture design, prototyping, device troubleshooting, root cause investigation, bench testing, participating in brainstorming sessions, and systems documentation.
- Responsibilities will increase as student proves capable.
- Play a significant role in advancing the project.
Skills we are looking for:
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate Mechanical or Biomedical engineering program.
- Passion for high level thinking, working from first principles, and fundamental problem solving.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Organized thinker capable of functioning as an individual contributor with minimal direction.
- Candidates should be prepared to give examples of hands on projects and accomplishments including group projects demonstrating leadership and/or collaboration and situations of self-initiated learning and progression. Some examples include: wood/metal working, automotive repair, or art/performance.
- Appreciation for working with people from all walks of life, including different engineering disciplines, customers, medical staff, and assembly technicians
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be detailed oriented.
One hour from the beach, Boston, and the mountains, the historic Amoskeag Millyard once housed the largest textile mills in the world. It is now home to DEKA Research and Development, where we are taking the same innovation and cutting-edge technology into the modern age.
Behind DEKA’s brick walls sits a team of professionals who strive to make a difference every day through thoughtful engineering, design, and manufacturing. Here at DEKA, some of the most innovative and life-changing products of our time are created, and new ideas are always welcome and explored.
*Applicants should be aware that short-term housing options in Manchester, NH are limited and that DEKA is not able to assist with housing. However, we do have a partnership with New England College in Manchester. Many DEKA interns live in their residence halls that are just 0.5 miles walking distance to DEKA. Please visit their website for housing rates.
* Public transportation is available and routes/schedules can be found by visiting the Manchester Transit Authority website, www.mtabus.org.
Please be aware that we try to make sure that our internship opportunities are well defined and will provide a unique experience. We understand that most candidates would like to know if they have a placement as soon as possible, but at DEKA it takes more time than other companies at we review every application that is submitted. We will try to let you know as soon as we can, but encourage you to pursue other opportunities as well.
*A full time student is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester at an undergraduate program, or a minimum of 9 credits per semester for a graduate program.