2023 Internship – Engineer – Advanced Warfare Systems Engineering & Integration
Do you enjoy applying your knowledge of engineering to a range of new technologies and systems, and bringing them together into a cohesive operational system-of-systems that meets customer needs? If so, we have the internship for you!
We are seeking systems engineering interns to help us develop the required performance and designs of sophisticated combat and weapon systems. We use a wide variety of systems engineering tools and simulations to advance the understanding of sensor, communication and combat system performance. In doing so, you will learn how to employ digital engineering goals, practices and tools from the beginning to define and influence new system requirements. Throughout your internship, we will also provide a detailed understanding of good systems engineering principles and practices.
We are a team of systems and software engineers that apply systems engineering to enable the full life-cycle development of emerging system-of-systems capabilities. We provide international system support and excel in traditional and model-based systems engineering, digital engineering, systems analysis and integration, and verification and validation. We emphasize our inclusive environment where everyone can bring their full range of talents and ideas.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, or other related technical degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimatley obtain a Final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Proficiency in either Python or MATLAB is very valuable, though any background in writing analytical scripts or programs is helpful.
- Experience with data collection and analysis is desirable.
- Experience in model-based systems engineering (MBSE) or modelling and simulation (M&S) is desirable.
- Additionally, experience working in small groups within an agile framework is very helpful.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.