2023 Internship - Human Machine Engineering
Do you like humans?
Do you also like machines?
Do you wish humans and machines worked better together?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our Human Machine Engineering team at APL!
We are seeking interns to help us rapidly prototype Command and Control systems of the future, build the robust systems engineering backbone for those systems, and change the way humans interact with machines (especially Artificial Intelligence-enabled systems). Our multi-disciplinary team consists of algorithm developers, computer scientists, psychologists, systems engineers, and others who seek to reshape this future through end-to-end human systems and performance engineering. With us, you will develop solutions to bridge the gaps in human-machine warfighting teams in information-dense, high-stakes environments to revolutionize and operationalize warfighter-augmenting capabilities.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to development of future Command and Control systems while advocating for end users
- Prototype or perform systems engineering critical to developing these systems and help develop a vision for the future
- Work across teams, departments, and organizations to develop solutions and advocate for the warfighter to make sure their voice is heard
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are pursuing a degree in Human Systems Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, UI/UX development, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Web Development, Game Development, Human Computer Interaction or or a related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Have the ability to work independently and with teams of collaborators
- Have a passion for building team culture, driving innovation, and building/executing strategic initiatives
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Hold an Active Secret clearance or above, or are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Hold a Bachelors Degree or higher in any of the disciplines listed above (or an equivalent field)
- Have experience with full stack web development, game development, and/or application development (React and Unity experience preferred).
- Have experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering and/or quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Have experience working with system requirements
- Have experience in a team environment focused on rapid prototyping
- Have experience working on user experiences or human-machine interactions
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.