Intern - Pharmaceutical Development - Material Science Group
Process Chemistry is seeking summer interns for the Foster City, CA, campus of Gilead Sciences for 2022. The candidate should be enrolled in an undergraduate program with a major in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or a closely allied field. Interns will gain experience with state-of-the-art techniques and equipment while working as integrated members of the department. This experience will include exposure to the typical problems encountered in pharmaceutical process research and development, aspects of green chemistry, material sciences, as well as process safety and engineering as applied to scale-up.
Working alongside a talented team of chemists and chemical engineers, interns in Process Chemistry at Gilead will carry out research on projects relating to the crystallization of pharmaceutically relevant and/or drug-like molecules while employing kinetic and thermodynamic concepts.
Typical job functions will include:
- Under general supervision, design and execute experiments, analyze and visualize results, and document work using an Electronic Laboratory Notebook
- Carry out all laboratory work in a safe manner
- Document, summarize, and present ongoing research activities to project teams
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- A strong interest in material sciences and thermodynamics
- Understanding of the concepts of acid-base chemistry
- Organic chemistry coursework (with labs) completed
- Undergraduate research experience in chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences or related field is preferred
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Undergraduate in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering/Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field enrolled in a 4-year accredited university/college; including enrollment in the Fall Semester after completing the internship
- Good verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills are required
- Ability to complete 10-12 consecutive weeks between May and September
If this is not the right move for you now but you remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences, please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.a vature.net/careers/
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.