2023 Internship – System Modeling, Evaluation and Planning
Are you interested in learning more about system modeling, evaluation, and planning?
Are you interested in applying your engineering, physics, or mathematics background to strategic deterrence and defense?
Do you like contributing to complex efforts that require team-based approaches?
If you are working toward a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in engineering, math, or physics, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
The System Modeling, Evaluation, and Planning Group (KFA) is seeking interns in the aforementioned fields to aid in the design and implementation of state-of-the-art methodologies to gather and manipulate data for system analysis, identification, and planning. You will be joining a hardworking team of engineers, physicists, and mathematicians who are passionate about their role as an intern for the nation’s strategic systems. We strive to foster an environment of innovation and learning to develop the critical technologies and experts of the future.
As a System Modeling, Evaluation and Planning Group (KFA) Intern you will...
- Learn about inertial navigation and apply your knowledge to understand how determine flight system accuracy.
- Develop optimal estimation tools for evaluating flight test dynamics and navigation of ballistic and hypersonic missile systems.
- Employ and develop physics-based models for statistical estimation and forecasting of weapon system accuracy.
- Work to improve existing tools and processes to analyze real flight test data.
- Extend the capabilities of an existing object-oriented accuracy analysis software library, including full life cycle support (requirements, design, implementation, performance assessment, unit and regression testing, debugging, and documentation).
- Work with modeling and simulation tools such as C++, MATLAB, and Simulink.
- Develop navigation algorithms, including Six Degree of Freedom (6DOF) simulations.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are working toward a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Engineering, Math, Physics or a related technical field.
- Are inquisitive and are willing to learn new skills and expand your capabilities.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance and can ultimately obtain Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll exceed our minimum requirements if you...
- Have had coursework in statistics including parameter estimation and coursework in flight dynamics, guidance, navigation, or control.
- Have experience with MATLAB or know another scientific programming language such as C++ or Python.
- Have experience or coursework with inertial navigation.
- Have experience or coursework with Kalman filtering.
- Have experience or coursework with Optimization.
- Have experience or coursework with maximum likelihood estimation (MLE)
- Hold an active Secret or higher-level clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.