- Kalama, WA 98625, USA
- Department: Production Engineering
NS BlueScope - Coated Products North America (Coated Products) is a joint venture between Nippon Steel and BlueScope Steel. The Coated Product business operates in the United States, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia, with its headquarters based in Singapore. This joint venture provides a strong platform to capture growth in new market segments. ASC Profiles LLC and Steelscape LLC are part of the NS BlueScope Coated Products business in the United States and is an industry leader on the forefront of offering innovative steel product solutions. With over 600 employees and eight manufacturing plants across the Western United States, we have built trusted brands which have served the construction industry for almost 50 years.
Steelscape, LLC is a national supplier of metallic-coated and pre-painted steel. Aimed at servicing the construction industry, Steelscape’s products can be used for a wide range of applications from metal buildings to architectural roofing to decking and framing. Steelscape’s facilities, located in Kalama, Washington; and Rancho Cucamonga, California are strategically located near major truck, ship and rail routes to service the Western U.S. market.
Primary Purpose & Value of the Department and Position
Manufacturing is responsible for supporting safety, quality and production of all coated steel products processed in their assigned department(s) at the Steelscape facility. The incumbent ensures that production goals are met, customer demands are satisfied, and all manufacturing associates work safely within a self-directed team environment through their support.
The Process Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing technical and process specifications for the Production Line Processes. This includes tracking and reporting production key metrics on a daily and monthly basis, leading all the Quality and Yield improvement activities as a technical specialist and resource to the Kalama team and pursuing continuous improvement activities which will enable Steelscape to achieve and/or exceed the goals of the Strategic Business Plan. The incumbent is also responsible for leading trials, quality investigations, and substituting for manager as needed.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Investigate and resolve equipment issues. Performing system analysis and evaluation to determine root cause of failures using statistical methods Improve equipment performance
- Investigate Quality Issues (Internal and External). Leading efforts to troubleshoot quality and productivity issues
- Communicating with Area Manager, shift supervisors, and associates / provide as back up in Area Manager’s absence. Providing direction and leadership to the Technical Assistant in completing daily task and projects including monthly line yield reports and daily line run data.
- Coordinate production trials
- Facilitating and supporting self-directed work teams in reaching consensus with respect to process improvements, material dispositions, production delays, etc.
- Developing and reviewing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s). Developing and organizing training material to transfer appropriate process/production and safety knowledge to associates.
- Manage raw material inventory (chemicals, line supplies). Assisting in proper specification and choice of highest quality, lowest cost raw material commodities (i.e. Paint, & Chemicals) for utilization in Kalama production processes.
- Resolve vendor supply issues
- Facilitating continuous improvement projects through team efforts. Write and champion capital projects.
- Month end reporting
- Assisting with all safety issues related to production and ensure that safety goals are achieved. Engaging associates in all aspects of safety, meetings, conversations, and incident reporting.
Education & Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or manufacturing related field or 10+ years of relevant experience in lieu of degree
- 5 years manufacturing experience
- 2 years in a supervisory or people management role
- 5 years of Steelscape product experience
Skills & Competencies
- Results oriented attitude with a proven track record of ensuring key deadlines are met
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of inventory systems used to track production, inventory and shipping required
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with team members to achieve planned results
- Interpersonal skills
- Presentation skills
- Accomplished safety leader
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams
- Good problem-solving skills
- High levels of integrity
- Self-drive and achievement oriented
- Understand complex equipment to resolve issues
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.