Clean Energy Technology Integration Environmental Sustainability Internships
Seeking Degree Programs In: Nuclear, Renewable, Intelligent Systems, Hybrid Energy, Economic Analysis, Geology, Environmental Engineering, Power Systems, Systems Engineering, Anthropology, Earth & Life Sciences, Materials, Chemistry, Biology, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Ecology
Does an internship focused on changing the world's energy future intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity you're looking for!
Through this single application, you are considered for all internship projects related to Energy and Environment Programs. Simply complete the application questions which will help us identify what knowledge and experience you already have that may be related to the preferred qualifications for each individual internship project. It is common for applicants to receive consideration for multiple projects at varying times throughout the process. Mentors will make direct contact with applicants who meet their project qualifications to share the specific details of the project. Most internships provide flexibility with start and end dates to account for varying university term schedules. We encourage early applications to increase the number of opportunities available to you.
If you are interested in other INL internship categories in addition to this one, you will need to complete the application for each of those categories as well. Most of the information you provide while completing the initial application carries over to your new applications. You will have to review your previously submitted information in each step, ensure it is complete and then click the submit button on the final step.
INL works to optimize hybrid energy systems that expand the nation's integrated energy portfolio to ensure power is available when it is needed most. To reduce the environmental impact of energy extraction, INL scientists conduct geo-mechanical modeling and benchmarking, develop nuclear fuel codes and used fuel systems engineering, plus develop options for nuclear and radiological materials disposition. Below are descriptions of the type of projects a student may work on:
- Aid in the development and parameterization of earth models targeting enhanced geothermal systems in sedimentary rocks. Use statistical techniques to populate earth models using indirect measurements such as seismic inversion.
- Participate on the R&D data collection team and work to develop and streamline various reporting solutions, customize internal website collection, and help establish infrastructure for simple and intuitive long-term maintenance.
- Develop an algorithm for quantifying economic financial risk in supply chain logistics. Enter data and develop code to use in the algorithm.
- Carry out quantitative characterization of microstructures in advanced structural materials intended for high temperature power generation. Correlate experimental observations of material structure with measured elevated creep and creep-fatigue behavior. Relate the structure and properties to underlying mechanisms of deformation and fracture.
- Support VHDL/VLSI programming activities as a part of the existing projects in power electronics.
- Conduct discrete element method (DEM) model based simulation studies of mechanical characterization and bulk flowability of granular particulate materials for biomass particles.
- Test wear properties of a variety of biomass sources using standard and newly developed techniques, and develop microscopy skills to image the surface of materials worn by biomass. Develop knowledge in thermodynamics, solid mechanics, particle motion and collisions.
- Study and characterize biomass feedstocks relative to processing the material for delivery to a bio-refinery for conversion to either a liquid or a solid biofuel. Provide recommendations to experimental plans, collect data from laboratory-scale test equipment, enter the data into spreadsheets, analyze the data using statistical software, and prepare graphs for presentation.
- Aid in the development of power systems co-simulation platforms. Assist in modeling steady-state and transient analysis of power systems in Open DSS and digital real-time simulators e.g., OPAL-RT and RTDS. Develop control strategies for integrated energy systems. Provide recommendations to experimental plans, collect data from test equipment, enter the data into spreadsheets, analyze the data using statistical software, and prepare graphs for presentation.