PhD Scientist/Engineer, Batteries (5334)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.’s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Scientist / Engineer for our Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice in Menlo Park, California. In this role you will work as part of a team to contribute to the fast developing portable energy consulting services at Exponent.
The ideal candidate will possess a well-developed understanding of secondary and primary battery chemistry, cell design, cell assembly, and material and battery characterization. In addition, we desire an individual who is able to draw from three to five (3-5) years of hands on experience with battery research and development, which may include work on a masters or doctorate degree. Experience with polymer processing, corrosion science and/or metallurgy is a plus. Responsibilities will include applying this experience to solve challenging, real world battery electrochemistry and materials problems for our clients. This individual will work with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers and will play a key role in designing and running experiments, as well as interpreting and presenting data. The successful applicant will display excellent written and verbal communications skills and contribute in preparing reports and presenting results to clients.
You will be responsible for:
- Applying your experience with battery research and development to solve challenging, real word battery electrochemistry and materials problems for our clients
- Designing and running experiments
- Interpreting and presenting data
- Preparing written reports for client work
- Presenting results to clients
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry
- Specialized knowledge of electrochemistry and lithium ion or other battery technology is required and experience in failure analysis is desirable
- Well-developed understanding of secondary and primary battery chemistry, cell design, cell assembly, and material and battery characterization
- Three to five (3-5) years of hands on experience with battery research and development, which may include work on a masters or doctorate degree
- Experience with polymer processing, corrosion science and/or metallurgy is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work within project teams with strong desire to contribute, have potential for technical and project managerial leadership
- Must be able to convey complex technical information to individuals in engineering, business, legal and related industries
To learn more about life at Exponent, check out our Graduate Students page at www.exponent.com/careers/grad-students!
We value and encourage diversity and inclusivity across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 (650) 688-6968 or email firstname.lastname@example.org