Process Engineer - Energy Storage Technologies (Santa Clara, CA)
Applied Materials is the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at atomic levels and on an industrial scale helps our customers – who make smartphones, supercomputers, virtual reality headsets, autonomous vehicles and more – transform their ideas into reality. Our innovations Make Possible® a Better Future.
Inside our company, we apply the idea of make possible as we work together. We value our people and teams who turn possibilities into reality by advancing our strategy, accomplishing great things and empowering others. We are deeply committed to fostering a Culture of Inclusion where every person knows they belong, feels empowered to bring their whole self to work, and is inspired to grow.
Our team is actively recruiting a Process Engineer to join our team of researchers focused on cutting-edge energy storage technologies. Our state-of-the-art dry room lab is located in Santa Clara, CA. We offer a hybrid work environment which allows the team to work both on and off site, flexible hours, and no more tracking vacation time. At Applied Materials, you’ve earned it.
- Design, collect data, analyze, and compile reports on complex process engineering experiments
- Perform hardware characterization on moderately difficult systems within safety guidelines
- Troubleshoot complex problems, perform Root Cause Analysis, and resolve process engineering issues
- Measure film properties, organize data/reports for review and interpret data
- Generate internal documentation for products, presentations, and technical reports
- Interact with customers to resolve moderately difficult process engineering issues/problems
- Identify, select, and work with vendors and suppliers under general supervision
- Implement new technology, products, and analytical instrumentation
- Advanced degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, Electrochemistry, Battery, Fuel Cells, Energy Storage, or related field
- Knowledge of thin film deposition (eg. PVD, CVD etc.) and coatings (eg. Slot-die) on various flexible substrates
- Knowledge of various metrology characterizations (eg. thickness and thickness uniformity, composition of matter, thermal analysis, diffraction analysis, microscopic and spectroscopic analysis, electrochemical testing and analysis, moisture analysis etc.)
- Device fabrication and testing knowledge (electrochemical cell building & testing such as coin and pouch cells)
- Knowledge of various metrology techniques such as thin film thickness, -uniformity statistics, crystallinity (eg. XRD), surface roughness (eg. Ra/Rz), thermal properties (eg. TGA/DSC), chemical composition (eg. ICP), electrochemical performance
- Knowledge on laser processing and R2R processing
- Ability to solve complex problems and take a new perspective on existing solutions
- Ability to exercise judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
- Flexible and adaptable mindset who thrives in a results-driven culture
- US Citizenship required
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.