Research Software Engineer, Entry Level
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy's largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs.
Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We invite applications for the position of Research Software Engineer in the Software Engineering Group within the Computer Science and Mathematics Division.
The Software Engineering group focuses on engineering the next generation of high-quality scientific software. Our group innovates and inspires the next generation of cutting-edge scientific software, thus enabling Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) to host the world’s premier scientific software engineering group and transform science with software-defined solutions that are reliable, usable, and trustworthy.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of open-source software on scientific projects and original research including scientific papers, reports, and other artifacts.
- Work closely with stakeholders to meet their software requirements, address bugs, and achieve their scientific goals.
- Deploy, maintain, and support web applications, servers, and cloud development platforms in support of scientific projects.
- Participate in the roadmap, vision, and strategy for enhancing software quality.
- Mentor students to help them grow.
- Participate in developing the strategic direction of research software engineering at ORNL.
- A BS degree in physics, chemistry, computer science, or a related field.
- Previous experience with modern object-oriented programming languages including C++, Java or Python, outside of degree.
- Software development experience in computational science, engineering, computer science, or applied math.
- MS degree preferred.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- The ability to work on a team in a dynamic group environment as the team meets daily, practices Continuous Integration, collaborates on the source code and has regular deadlines.
- Prior experience developing or contributing to large, complex software systems. Activity within the broader open-source software community would be looked upon favorably but is not required.
- Experience with software development methodologies, such as version control systems like Git and Subversion, and knowledge of UML.
- Familiarity with testing methodologies, writing and implementing manual and automated testing processes and test strategies
- Familiarity with code quality metrics and tools
- Familiarity with DevOps
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and practices
***Visa sponsorship is not available with this position.
An open-source code sample that may be used for evaluation purposes will be required during the application process. Your code sample should be related in some way to the subject of this post and be your sole work to a very high degree (>95%). Ideally, the code sample would be made available on GitHub or a similar sharing platform, although submissions by email are fine too.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation, and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
UT-Battelle is recognized by our employees and the community as an inclusive environment where diversity is valued and individuals and teams are inspired to contribute fully to the organization's success. ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.