Intern - Sandia/DOE Science Undergrad Laboratory Intern (SULI) - RD Fellowship Undergrad Summer
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking an Intern - Sandia/DOE Science Undergrad Laboratory Intern (SULI) - RD Fellowship Undergrad Summer
We are hiring up to 12 undergraduate students for a 10-week, full-time internship during Summer 2022, through the DOE Science Undergrad Laboratory Intern (SULI) Program.
As a SULI intern, you will assist Sandia research staff on projects in a variety of technical areas at Sandia's Livermore site. This position requires an additional, separate application to the DOE SULI Program.
Depending on the project assignment and qualifications, you will be responsible for:
- setting up and running lab experiments
- creating software programs to analyze data
- developing computational models and algorithm
At Sandia’s California campus, SULI interns are placed in a variety of topical areas in association with foundational science and energy research programs. Topics of research may include:
- biofuel development
- chemical reaction processes in flames, on catalysts, and in the atmosphere
- molecular dynamics
- the development of advanced laser diagnostics
- exascale simulations of reacting flows
- uncertainty quantification
- machine learning and stochastic modeling
- advanced engine combustion
- advanced materials for hydrogen generation and storage
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- Must be a U.S. citizen, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
To be eligible for this job posting, you must have applied to the DOE SULI Program website, with a deadline of Jan. 12, 2022. Note that this application requires the online submittal of two recommendations, by the same deadline. Only interns who are selected for the SULI program will be eligible for this position.
Qualifications We Desire
Desired candidates will have skills and interests aligned with science and energy programs at Sandia’s Livermore, CA location.
About Our Team
Experimental and computational modeling studies of reacting flow phenomena relevant to combustion processes.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico need to pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a clearance, a pre-processing background review may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance need to be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Members of the workforce (MOWs) hired at Sandia who require uncleared access for greater than 179 days during their employment, are required to go through the Uncleared Personal Identity Verification (UPIV) process. Access includes physical and/or cyber (logical) access, as well as remote access to any NNSA information technology (IT) systems. UPIV requirements are not applicable to individuals who require a DOE personnel security clearance for the performance of their SNL employment or to foreign nationals. The UPIV process will include the completion of a USAccess Enrollment, SF-85 (Questionnaire for Non-Sensitive Positions) and OF-306 (Declaration of for Federal Employment). An unfavorable UPIV determination will result in immediate retrieval of the SNL issued badge, removal of cyber (logical) access and/or removal from SNL subcontract. All MOWs may appeal the unfavorable UPIV determination to DOE/NNSA immediately. If the appeal is unsuccessful, the MOW may try to go through the UPIV process one year after the decision date.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.