Postdoctoral Research Associate - Solid State Batteries
Requisition Id 7135
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to focus on the synthesis and characterization of solid electrolytes for lithium metal solid-state batteries. This position resides in the Energy Storage & Conversion Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at ORNL.
As part of the research team, the candidate will work in CSD’s state-of-the-art laboratories equipped with solid-state and wet chemistry synthesis capabilities, physical vapor deposition systems, electrochemical test modules, X-ray scattering equipment, vibrational spectroscopy tools (e.g., micro-Raman), atomic force microscopy, and electron microscopy. This position also offers ample opportunity to access the world-class facilities and collaborate with staff scientists at the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS), the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), and Battery Manufacturing Facility (BMF).
- Synthesize and characterize novel solid electrolytes for solid-state batteries. Apply interfacial coatings to stabilize electrode/electrolyte interfaces in solid-state batteries.
- Develop processing methods to integrate new electrodes and electrolytes into Li metal solid-state batteries.
- Publish high quality, peer-reviewed manuscripts and develop intellectual property. Meet deliverables for the sponsor and communicate results in a timely manner.
- Comply with environment, safety, health, and quality regulations.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- A PhD in Inorganic Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or a related science discipline completed within the last five years
- Experience synthesizing solid-state electrolytes and fabricating/testing Li-based batteries
- Experience with Li-based sulfide and/or halide solid electrolytes
- Experience with solid-state batteries and interfacial characterization
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with an international, scientific audience
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and participate in collaborative teams across ORNL.
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.