Transportation Design Engineer
Transportation Design Engineers at Fehr & Peers can expect to build a career through a wide variety of experiences. An emphasis is placed on early development of project management and technical skills. A Design Engineer’s role involves many project types and tasks, with opportunities to deliver plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) to our clients which enables projects to be built in the communities we serve. In a single office, you’ll be exposed to a multitude of project types, maximizing opportunities for personal and professional growth, including the preparation of construction documents and design drawings for projects such as:
· Traffic signal design
· Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
· Street and pedestrian scale lighting
· Bikeways/Complete Streets
· Signing & Striping
· Traffic Calming
· Temporary Traffic Control
Along with the preparation of these drawings, some routine engineering tasks may include:
· Obtaining as-built drawings and utility coordination
· Preparation of project specifications and construction cost estimates
· Field visits to review existing conditions, design constraints, or construction activities
· Design support during construction (requests for information, contractor submittals, etc.)
We provide opportunities to learn cutting edge software including: AutoCAD, Microstation, AutoTURN, SignCAD, Synchro, Sidra, AGi32 and others depending on project demands. Our Engineering Discipline Group is also a resource and network that meets regularly to advance our capabilities and support the needs of our Engineering staff companywide.
We’re interested in someone who has some work experience as a designer or has completed significant project course work in areas such as traffic engineering design, roadway design, or civil site design and would be passionate about designing and developing creative and innovative solutions.
Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in transportation, civil engineering, or a related field
- An EIT or PE license is highly desirable
- Experience with design software such as AutoCAD and/or Microstation is highly desirable
- Candidates should have excellent technical writing, public speaking skills, and a focus on career growth
Fehr & Peers follows federal, state, and local requirements regarding COVID-19 procedures such as masking, distancing, and vaccination documentation. As an employer with more than one hundred employees, Fehr & Pees is required to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or test for COVID-19 weekly. And, as a federal contractor, certain Fehr & Peers offices will require that unvaccinated employees obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. Please let us know if you would like to discuss any of these matters prior to or during the interview process.