Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Polymer Scientist for an Associate/Scientist level position for our Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice in Bowie, MD. In this role, you will work as part of a team to collaborate with scientists and engineers from other Exponent offices providing scientific analysis and testing related to a variety of technical issues. This position will require some travel.
You will be responsible for:
- Analyzing scientific information, testing and inspections to address polymer and materials science matters related to the use of materials in applications from consumer products and electronics to pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Analyzing root causes on a wide variety of polymer materials failures related to issues arising in development, manufacturing or use of products
- Synthesizing and conveying results in high quality formats appropriate for various business, legal, and regulatory environments
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science, or Chemical Engineering
- A strong theoretical and practical knowledge of polymer materials and characterization techniques
- Polymer structure-function understanding and detailed knowledge of the characterization techniques needed to elucidate such properties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrations of written communication skills in addition to research publications are a plus
- Superior problem-solving abilities
- Strong educational and publication credentials
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
- Practical testing and applications understanding in a manufacturing or R&D environment is a plus
- Polymer formulation, compounding, dispensing, and/or molding experience is a plus
- Typical polymer materials analysis: thermal, chemical, and mechanical analysis, etc. is a plus
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 (650) 688-6968 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.