Software Engineer Intern
Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We’re the company behind the world’s fastest satellite internet service, with technology that’s helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We’re looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You’ll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world’s first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
About the team
This organization is an interconnected series of small teams that allows for immediate visibility within the group, but maintains the resources support of a large company to solve technology needs. The Secure Network Systems team also supports security and cybersecurity needs across the company, in which physical products, tools, and initiatives can have impacts across world-wide usage.
Be part of a software development team that designs, re-factors, and maintains code for existing and upcoming features across one or more product lines while meeting a stringent set of standards for security design and testing. As updated standards are released they are deployed across a variety of products and must take into account a variety of competing constraints.
Members will be expected to work as part of a team that works with and helps clarify requirements while continuously supporting development, integration, automation, and test of the final product through certification.
Our ideal candidate is capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team with experience in object-oriented design, debugging, and embedded systems. The majority of our products interface via networking protocols, so the experience, interest, and desire to work on network-based products is a big plus. Our teams strive to be efficient and productive, while remaining generous with our time and knowledge. Our ideal candidate is also focused on continuous improvement and driven by curiosity.
- Cybersecurity software & systems engineering
- Be a part of an agile multidisciplinary development team
- Embedded systems software engineering
- Embedded or applications developer
- System infrastructure development; scripting, automation, data visualization & dashboarding
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Previous experience using C or C++
- Previous experience with Object Oriented Programming
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Excellent software design, problem solving, and debugging skills
- Experience with or desire to learn Linux
- Ability to commit to a 10-12 week summer internship
- Previous experience using java or python
- Previous internship experience is a plus
- Courses in software architecture are a plus
- Courses with practical software design usage are a plus
- Experience with developing software monitoring and control software
- Familiarity with configuration management tools (Perforce), development tools (Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc.), and agile development methodologies
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines is a plus
- Knowledge of TCP/IP network fundamentals is a plus.
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!