Environmental Health & Safety Intern - Indianapolis, IN
Who We Are:
Lehigh Hanson is one of the largest construction materials companies in North America with more than 550 active operations in the U.S. and Canada. Our core activities include the production and distribution of cement and aggregates, the two essential raw materials in concrete. Lehigh Hanson companies also produce ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, and other concrete products.
Lehigh Hanson is part of the HeidelbergCement Group, a global leader in aggregates, cement, concrete, and other downstream activities. The Group employs over 60,000 people at more than 3,000 locations in 60 countries.
The EHS internship will support both the Environment & Sustainability and Health & Safety teams in the Midwest region. While the position will have several tasks and responsibilities (as listed below) the position will have a primary project to streamline and standardize processes and tools for Clean Air Act Emissions Reporting and reporting for the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, Toxics Release Inventory for four cement plants in the Midwest region.
What you’ll get to do:
- Evaluate existing tools used for reporting of air emissions and for Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) reporting for four cement plants. Develop user friendly, standardized templates that can be used and customized as needed for site specific parameters to streamline and ensure consistency in reporting across all four sites.
- Evaluate and document applicability to EPA’s Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan requirements for up to 15 quarries. If a site is deemed subject to the requirements, the intern will collect the necessary information required to prepare/update the required SPCC plan using established template.
Safety and Health
- Job Safety Analysis
Who we are looking for:
- A college student studying mining or quarrying working or environmental engineering to earn a bachelor’s degree with the desire to learn the ins and outs of the mining and aggregate industry.
- A highly organized, efficient, and process improvement mindset and skillset
- Someone able and willing to dive in and help solve problems in the field
- Someone with a strong desire to work in a heavy industrial environment
- Mining or quarry student who’s desired career path is to be promoted into different roles within the organization
- Strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- A multi-tasker who can tackle multiple projects at the same time
- Someone that is flexible to work overtime when it is needed