MECHANICAL DESIGNER/DRAFTER SUMMER INTERN - KIEWIT INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERS
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 125388
Job Level: Internship
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Industrial Engineering (K-IND) is seeking a Mechanical Drafting Intern in the Lenexa, Kansas office. We are looking for ideal candidates to grow the Kiewit team by helping establish, maintain, and improve company standards and tools while also utilizing these standards and tools to contribute to project success. Candidates shall be capable of applying engineering drafting principles and procedures while performing basic engineering drafting work. Candidates shall be familiar with current drafting and modeling software (AutoCAD, Microstation, Smart3D, Revit) and exhibit flexibility in work assignments while maintaining a growth mindset and continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high-performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office and typically requires less than 25 percent travel.
- Utilize SmartPlant P&ID to draft Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) based on direction from design engineers.
- Create mechanical sketches, layouts, and detail drawings.
- Develop and check design deliverables in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and company standards.
- Develop the capability to navigate 3D models and check for interferences and constructability.
- Complete miscellaneous tasks to support project or department development.
- Coordinate with other design partners (both internal and external) including construction partners, and engineers and designers assigned to the project or task and review work progress and results.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technology or related field.
- Knowledge of design software such as SmartPlant, AutoCAD, Microstation, Smart3D, Revit.
- Proficient in basic computing programs such as Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously managing a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move objects up to 30 pounds.
- Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.