STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SUMMER INTERN - KIEWIT INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 125347
Job Level: Internship
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
As a Structural Design Engineer Intern, you will be a part of a growing team that supports all aspects of the construction process by performing innovative design engineering through brainstorming conceptual designs, performing and/or reviewing structural calculations, developing plans, scheduling tasks to meet client needs, as well as mitigating risk to keep our construction crews safe.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high-performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
- Develops familiarity with departmental design standards, applicable engineering codes and Kiewit Industrial Engineers policies, guidelines and standards.
- Understands, contributes to, and adheres to the Kiewit Industrial Engineers Quality Plan requirements and objectives.
- Prepares basic engineering calculations and following standard methods and principles used in similar engineering analyses.
- Prepares basic design sketches for drafting and incorporation into final plans.
- Calculates cost and quantity estimates for project based on analysis of collected data.
- Assists in checking various Kiewit Industrial Engineers calculations, prepared drawings and documents as assigned and within established guidelines.
- May inspect construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering drawings, specifications, and construction.
- Checks vendor's drawings for structural construction commodities.
- Submits lessons learned to the Kiewit Industrial Engineers database.
- Communicates with other disciplines to coordinate design interfacing issues.
- Highly desirable that the individual is pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering (with Structural emphasis), or Architectural Engineering (with Structural emphasis) or a degree in Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Completed a fundamental of structural analysis course which includes computer application.
- Completed a strength of materials course with statics and dynamics application.
- Completed fundamentals of steel design course and/or fundamentals of concrete design course.
- Should be comfortable with the use of basic spreadsheet, database, and word processing programs.
- Must be familiar with basic structural analysis software, engineering software, and basic CADD software for reviewing drafter’s work.
- Highly desirable that the individual will have specific knowledge of SAP2000, MathCad, and Navisworks.
Base Compensation: $15.00/hr - $23.00/hr
(Actual compensation is subject to variation due to such factors as education, experience, skillset, and/or location)
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.