Sound & Vibration Project Support Summer Intern
United States of America
CAI23: Carrier-Indianapolis, IN 7310 W Morris St, Indianapolis, IN, 46231 USA
Built on Willis Carrier’s invention of modern air conditioning in 1902, Carrier is a world leader in heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration solutions. We constantly build upon our history of proven innovation with new products and services that improve global comfort and efficiency. Today, Carrier needs your talent to build upon this legacy and create solutions that matter for people and our planet!
Carrier is the world’s leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration solutions. Carrier is a leading provider of HVAC&R, Building systems, and Fire & Security industries worldwide.
We are seeking a motivated, results-oriented college student to join our Indianapolis, IN team for the summer of 2022. The Carrier internship experience offers interns an environment that provides practical, challenging, and meaningful on-the-job work experience, and the opportunity to apply knowledge and demonstrate strengths in efforts to assist Carrier in achieving its business strategy.
As Sound & Vibration Project Support Intern will be given tasks that support the overall goal of the Sound & Vibration team to develop new and improved Sound Quality processes supporting Residential product Sound & Vibration qualification and Sound Quality assessment to meet engineering and marketing needs.
- Learn the RES Engineering Sound Recording standard, and work with Sound & Vibration (S&V) Technicians to implement a Sound Recording test plan to populate the Sound Quality (SQ) database for SQ threshold development.
- Run SQ software (Artemis) analysis and RES Annoyance Prediction on past binaural wave files and further populate the SQ database.
- Standard Work Development- Create a “user manual” for the SQ database and Sound Jury forms and investigate opportunities to streamline the SQ database and integrate with the Sound Recording standard work.
- Process Improvement- Possible integration of new, simplified Vibration test qualification reports with SQ database.
- Process Improvement- Possible data mining of past HVAC unit Vibration data to populate the database for Sound &Vibration threshold requirements development.
- Additional S&V work (time permitting): S&V Testing support for Sound Power Estimation is needed for Vibro-Acoustic model validation. The intern will need to work closely under the guidance of S&V engineers and S&V lab technicians.
- Inform stakeholders of analysis results
- Present recommendations
- Basic Thermodynamics and Solid Mechanics – Vibration & Structural Dynamics is a plus
- Basic knowledge of Measurement Systems and Instrumentation
- Microsoft Excel or Access and MS Office products
- Mechanical Engineering experience
- Ability to learn S&V lab data acquisition software/hardware
- Basic use of MATLAB is a plus
- Basic knowledge of digital signal processing would be helpful
- Basic knowledge of Acoustics and/or Noise & Vibration Control is a plus
- Basic HVAC knowledge is a plus
- Analytical (manipulate data)
- Strong Communication (written and verbal)
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- COVID-19 vaccines will be required for all newly hired Carrier U.S. Salaried employees
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Self-driven and proactive
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Team player and willing to collaborate with others on projects
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (preferred), Aerospace or Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, or Electrical Engineering Technology or related field of study
- GPA must be greater than or equal to 3.0 GPA
- Relevant coursework or previous internships preferred