Graduate Rail Engineer (Available 2022)
Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- MicroStation and AutoCAD software to lay out right-of-way, rail alignments, drainage systems, roadway design, sidewalks and pedestrian accommodation, utility systems, and grading designs
- Hydraulic modeling tools such as InfoWorks, Hydraflow and WaterCAD to plan, analyze and design stormwater systems and track drainage systems, and target other resiliency improvements
- Applicable codes such as AREMA, Agency Design Standards, NEC/NFPA, and related specifications and standards for design of the above elements
- Interdependence between skills in delivering sustainable outcomes
- Understand keys to delivering stage specific work for best outcome at each stage of the project life cycle - planning, design and construction phases
- Techniques associated with construction activities and construction phasing analysis
- Inter-disciplinary coordination with Structures, Architecture, M/E/P, Communications, Signaling, Power, Catenary as well as other Operations and Maintenance concerns
- Techniques to develop and demonstrate quality work
- Regulatory environment for gaining approval at different stages of project delivery
- Wide range of disciplines and skills within Arup
- Best practices for client communication and engagement
- Big-picture awareness that permeates every skill area in Arup
- Format, style and quality of our reports, calculations, plans, drawing and specifications
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA or higher
- Demonstrated interest in Rail & Transit Infrastructure
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals
- Familiarity with civil drafting software
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Coursework in transportation infrastructure design
- EIT/ FE Certification
- Proficiency with civil engineering design and analysis tools for rail, roads, and/or water systems
- Fluency in 3D CAD software
- Evidence of past internship
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day.
- Second Avenue Subway
- Fulton Street Transit Center
- Eglinton Crosstown West Extension LRT, Metrolinx Toronto, Canada
- Texas High Speed Rail
- MTA Enhanced Stations Initiative
- LIRR Expansion Program
- Finch West LRT Toronto, Canada
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options include alternative schedules, part-time or reduced hours schedule, and/or the ability to work remotely for a portion of your work week.
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Arup offers many benefits to eligible FT employees, some of which are outlined below:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar-for-dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.