MECHANICAL ENGINEER INTERN - KIEWIT INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 125186
Job Level: Internship
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
Kiewit Industrial Engineering (K-IND) is seeking a Mechanical Engineer Intern in the Lenexa, Kansas office. We are looking for Ideal candidates to grow the Kiewit team by helping establish, maintain, and improve company standards and tools while also utilizing these standards and tools to contribute to project success. Candidates shall be familiar with current drawing and technical tools, programs, and software with an understanding of design documentation creation and layouts. Candidates shall be capable of exhibiting flexibility in work assignments while maintaining a growth mindset and continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office and typically requires less than 25 percent travel.
- Assist in the design of various mechanical systems typical for food and beverage, bulk solids material handling, and other industrial facilities including, but not limited to, process piping, bulk solids material handling, conveying systems, dust collection, and general plant/facility water, compressed air, and gas systems.
- Prepare design calculations and equipment specifications for typical food and beverage, material handling, and other industrial facilities including, but not limited to, bulk material handling conveyors, dust collection equipment, bins/tanks, pumps, heat exchangers, boilers, and other process equipment.
- Develop and check design deliverables in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and company standards.
- Coordinate with other design partners (both internal and external) including construction partners, equipment suppliers, and other engineers and designers assigned to the project or task and review work progress and results.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering or equivalent engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year university.
- Proficient in basic computing programs including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Preferred experience utilizing AFT Fathom or AFT Arrow hydraulic simulation software (or equivalent).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.